Statewide 9-1-1 Advisory Board Minutes
Illinois Commerce Commission Main Hearing Room
527 East Capitol Avenue
May 22, 2017
The Board met pursuant to notice, at 10:00 A.M. in the Main Hearing Room at the Illinois Commerce Commission’s offices at 527 East Capitol Avenue, Springfield, IL.
Board Members physically present:
Col. Kelly Walter
Board Members present by phone:
Board Members not present:
Chairman Walter opened the meeting at 10:00 A.M.; the roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
- Approval of April 17, 2017 Open Meeting Minutes
On Larry Deetjen’s motion and Ralph Caldwell’s second, the April 17th minutes were unanimously approved.
- Public Hearings
- Kane County/South Elgin Consolidation Plan:
- Motion was made by Ralph Caldwell and seconded by David Clague to recommend that the 9-1-1 Administrator approve the application for consolidation as submitted. Motion carried by a unanimous vote by the Board.
- Glenview JETSB (Glencoe, Kenilworth, Northfield, Winnetka) Consolidation Plan:
- Motion was made by Ken Caudle and seconded by Linda Zerwin to recommend that the 9-1-1 Administrator approve the application for consolidation as submitted. Motion carried by a unanimous vote by the Board.
- Legislative Update
The Chairman indicated that there has been no movement on the 9-1-1 legislation (HB1984/SB985). HB1811 SA1 & 2 which contained exemptions from consolidation for Rosemont and Deerfield were not called for a vote. There was also no movement on HB2967, which includes a $1.35 surcharge for Northern Illinois, and HB2608, a continuing appropriation bill.
- Fiscal Update
The Board was presented with a summary of the Statewide 9-1-1 Bureau’s spending for FY17 through 4/30/17 and projected spending for all of FY17. Karl Pound indicated that the main distribution checks for January were cut by the Comptroller on 5/15. The distribution for counties under 100,000 were cut by the Comptroller on 5/18. March network bills are going to Shared Services by the end of the week. There is a reduction from $1.2 million to $580,000 per month as the amount held for grants decreased due to less than anticipated dollars requested by grantees.
- Administrator Update
- 2016 AR911 Reports – 5 reports are still outstanding. 92% of Annual Reports are in for 2017. Sixteen 911 authorities have not reported to date.
- 2017 Consolidation Grants – Notice of State Award is next in the process. Awards in June.
- Text to 911 – Mission Critical Partners has been contacted regarding statewide deployment opportunities for text to 911.
- NG911 Project – Mission Critical Partners has met with service providers and the Commerce Commission.
- Old Business
Larry Deetjen requested that Karl Pound include the prior fiscal year with the spending for the current fiscal year. Karl indicated that it would only show 6 months for FY16. Ralph Caldwell recommended that the topic of unmanned backups be reviewed by the Board as costs are covered for some 911 systems, but not for others.
- New Business
The Board presented Jana Fear with a plaque recognizing her service with the Board and as an advocate for 911 statewide.
- Public Comment
The meeting was adjourned at 10:56 AM on a motion by Jana Fear and a second by Linda Zerwin.